Why this model can initiate a new era of Artificial Intelligence?
- This model allows quantifying —in precise way— any fact, matter, phenomenon or thing, which has some relevance for the human being. For example: a state of happiness or sadness, a feeling, the expectation or concern about something, the need to relate, the quality of a product or service, the efficiency of a worker, the total management of a business, the condition of the weather, the probability that a lightning strike on a particular point of the earth… etc. In short, it is possible to quantify — with mathematical precision— any problem raised. In practical terms, the model offers an efficient universal methodology —which represents a drastic reduction in time and money— for the application and development of all those tools or systems oriented to facilitate decision making (Systems of Support to Decisions or DSS, Games Theory, Decision Theory, Complex System, Expert Systems, etc.).
- The scope of this model is determined by its universal condition, characteristic that allows his application in any circumstance, with which it is constituted in a method, system, protocol or language, which fulfills exactly with the universal nature of the mind, and creates the Artificial Mind, concept upper than Artificial Intelligence, which materializes with the possibility of integrating global effort. In practical terms, means that robots can be configured with the best solutions —à la carte— that exist in the world. For example, to the Russian intelligent robot Virtual Actor —endowed with narrative and emotional intelligence, announced for this year (2017) by Dr. Alexei Samsonovich—, could be easily added the “skills” developed by Google to play GO and also the capabilities of the Deep Ocean Explorer, manufactured at the German Institute for Research in Artificial Intelligence. But also, —this robot with Artificial Mind— could also be an Expert System with knowledge in Game Theory, and orientate the decision making in any organization. This is the new era of Artificial Intelligence of which I am referring.
- On base of important scientific references (one law, two theories and one principle) and from a totally innovative approach —in my, Thesis on How the Mind Works— five fundamental principles of the functioning of the mind or how the brain processes information are conceptually defined, and with this model are demonstrated —in a practical, clear and categorical— each one of them. Definition and demonstration that no science —until now— has performed. The following are some references of the current interest in how the brain processes information or How the Mind Works:
- The website of the American Psychological Association (APA) in its section Brain Science and Cognitive Psychology, says: “Brain science and cognitive psychology is one of the most versatile psychological specialty areas today — and one of the most in demand. All professions have a compelling interest in how the brain works. Educators, curriculum designers, engineers, scientists, judges, public health and safety officials, architects and graphic designers all want to know more about how the brain processes information.”
- The European Union financed with 1 billion euros The Human Brain Project (HBP), a project to imitate with supercomputers the human brain, with which it intends to control robots and also do medical tests (Banks, 2013).
- The website of Harvard University in its section News & Events, announces an investment of $ 28 million for the project New ‘moonshot’ effort to understand the brain brings artificial intelligence closer to reality, which seeks, through latest generation laser microscopes specially built for the project, record rat brain activity as they learn and then make extra-fine cuts of their brain to be photographed under the world’s first multi-beam scanning electron microscope, the leader of the project and member of the Center for Brain Science at Harvard University, Dr. David Cox, says: “The scientific value of recording the activity of so many neurons and mapping their connections alone is enormous, but that is only the first half of the project. As we figure out the fundamental principles governing how the brain learns, it’s not hard to imagine that we’ll eventually be able to design computer systems that can match, or even outperform, humans.” (Burrows,2016).
- From another perspective, the professor of the Cybernetics Chair at the National Nuclear Research University of Russia (MEPhI), Dr. Alexéi Samsonovich, says: “…a large number of scientists are scouring their expansive heads for the solution. Some investigate from the bottom up, trying to reproduce the structure of the brain step by step, from neurons. I opt for another way: we must penetrate the fundamental principles that manage our thinking and only then look for the possibilities of translating them into concrete models, say, in the same neural networks.” (Made in Russia: Emotional computer will make way for artificial intelligence, 2016).
- The importance of this model —beyond revealing the mystery of How the Mind Works— consists, in allowing the creation a global network of artificial neurons, which establishes a remarkable advance in the simulation of the complex network of more than 86 thousand million neurons that interact in the human brain. Dr. Joaquim Fuster —recognized authority in the world of neuroscience— highlights the importance of the network, says: “…the network is the key, the neural network, especially the networks of the cerebral cortex, are the base of the whole knowledge and of all the memory, are formed throughout life, with the experience, by the establishment of connections, the ‘connect’ between neurons… between neurons that can be grouped in small groups especially in the primary sensory motor areas, which can be called modules… the modules are at the base, is to see, is to touch, is to hear… is to move, but the conscience of the knowledge and the conscience of the memory is in the network, is in the grouping…” (Redes 110: The soul is in the network of the brain – neuroscience, 2011). This phenomenon or synergy is summarized byGestalt Psychology, in the following sentence: The whole is more than the sum of the parts.
- This model —universal as the mind— in any case, fully satisfies the following hypothesis, which is perhaps the main foundation of the Cognitive Science (formal field of study of the cognition):
- The system interacts with symbols, but not with their meaning, and the system (mind) would function correctly when the symbols appropriately represents some aspect of external reality, or some aspect of this, and the information processing in the system (symbolic computation) leads to a successful solution of the problem that has been presented (Varela, Thompson, y Rosch, 1993, p.42).
Artificial Intelligence, represents a world project, “ideal” and difficult to achieve, is to say a utopia, in which any significant advance has great impact on our daily life, in this sense, this discovery, for a newspaper or magazine: represents technological information of great interest, for the academic or scientific institutions: constitutes a considerable contribution to his research, and for businessmen or investors: currently — according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch— the robotics market is 32,000 million euros and by 2020 is estimated to be about 142,000 million (Costantini,2016).
I have full disposition to go to any part of the world, to present my thesis and demonstrate in a practical and theoretical way that the model I propose, represents a universal solution of transferring our knowledge to a computer. In other words, it represents the ideal medium to simulate our intelligence or enable a machine withArtificial Intelligence.
I invite any person or institution interested to put in practice this model, to coordinate efforts to start the era of the Artificial Mind.
I appreciate any comments, orientation or questions.